Tuition, Student Fees, and Financial Support

Specific offers of financial support will be made at the time of admission.

Doctoral students will normally receive full-tuition scholarships, competitive fellowship stipends of up to $10,000 per semester, and paid research assistantships of $1,500 per semester.

Full-time master’s students will normally receive scholarships up to full tuition and are normally offered a nominal stipend (currently $1,000) in conjunction with a paid research assistantship of $1,500 per semester.

A portion of the student fees is used to fund the Graduate Student Society (GSS) and the Student Federation. Also included are ID card costs, access to most athletic events and concerts and performances, access to Health Services, provision of master's regalia (cap, gown, hood) and doctoral hood, use of technology and campus facilities (such as the Knorr Student Center, Grewcock Student Union, Michael Alex Mossey Library, Hayden Park, Slayton Arboretum, Roche Sports Complex, and the Margot V. Biermann Athletic Center), support for The Collegian and other student publications, as well as other student services.

2023-24 Tuition and Student Fees


per semester

Full-time student tuition


per credit hour

Part-time student tuition (M.A. only)


per semester

First semester student fees Includes $25 orientation fee


per semester

Ongoing student fees

Note: Scholarships do not cover student fees. In addition to the above, there is also a vehicle registration fee of $50 per academic year for a permit to park in campus owned or leased lots.

Graduate tuition for 2023-2024 is $13,390 per semester, or $26,780 per academic year, for students with full-time status.

For students with part-time status (possible in the M.A. program only), tuition is $1,470 per credit hour.

Information for Veterans

Generous Financial Support

Hillsdale College does not accept any government funding, not even federal grants or loans, to include the G.I. Bill. To do so would result in a regulatory burden that would necessarily compromise the College’s principles. Instead, Hillsdale raises private monies to fund Freedom Scholarships, which help provide for the education of military veterans while protecting the College’s independence.

Freedom Scholarship

Students in our program who are eligible for veteran’s education benefits, can apply to receive funding under the Freedom Scholarship. Since our full-time graduate students will normally receive scholarships up to full tuition, assistance may be provided towards housing and food expenses, student fees, and books, subject to availability. The Freedom Scholarship is not usually available to our occasional active duty students, since they typically continue to receive full pay and benefits while in the program.

Private Funding

The Freedom Scholarship is funded by private citizens—donors to Hillsdale College—who share in the College’s Mission to "develop the minds and improve the hearts" of students, free of government subsidy or interference. Thus, if you are awarded a Hillsdale Freedom Scholarship, no funds from your GI Bill will be utilized. You will retain the benefit, and depending upon the duration and years of your service and any prior use of the benefit, you may be able to use any remaining portion to fund other educational pursuits or to help a family member with their education.


Veterans who have served honorably have earned the opportunity to apply for consideration. If you are offered admission to our program, you’ll need to submit a copy of your DD214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty and the Freedom Scholarship committee will use it to reach a determination on the amount of financial assistance to be granted. Depending on your circumstances, they may also request additional supporting materials. Their decision is made separately from and normally after the Graduate Admissions Committee makes graduate admissions decisions and is not a factor in those decisions. Be sure to indicate your military service at the appropriate point when completing the online application or if you submit a request for more information.